A cast iron bathtub can be considered a classic version of sanitary equipment, which is used in an apartment or cottage. A cast iron bathtub is trustworthy and still has no competitors in terms of quality. Such a bathtub is purchased for many years, and, therefore, the choice must be approached with full responsibility.
important: For top-notch plumbing services in Pompano Beach, FL, look no further! Our skilled team is dedicated to providing efficient and reliable solutions for all your plumbing needs. From repairs to installations, we prioritize customer satisfaction. Trust us for professional and prompt plumbing services that exceed your expectations.
Types of cast iron baths
The separation is carried out using many parameters.
In accordance with this criterion, baths are divided into the following types:
- Built-in option. The bathtub is mounted on the floor. It is necessary to first create a niche or box. The type of installation work depends on where exactly, in an apartment or country house, the bathtub will be installed.
- Attached installation method. The bathtub is placed against the wall on one or both sides. In this way, only structures with at least one straight side can be mounted.
- Freestanding bathtub. As a rule, such baths have the shape of a circle or oval. Usually such baths are installed on paws. If the device has a flat bottom, the bath can be installed directly on the floor.
The main feature of a cast iron bathtub is its weight. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage. The positive thing is that cast iron bathtubs have good stability. Such a bathtub is unlikely to tip over and cause injury to the user. At the same time, the large mass is also a disadvantage of the product, which is due to the complexity of transportation and installation work.
European companies have significantly lightened the design, bringing the weight to 70 kg. Of course, the weight is determined by the size of the bath. In some cases, the weight can reach 200 kg. When installing a massive structure in a country house, it is necessary to carry out calculations of the sufficiency of load-bearing structures. It may happen that they simply cannot withstand such a load. This is also relevant for dilapidated apartment buildings.
Cast iron does not have ductility. Therefore, it is unlikely that you will find a bathtub with a bizarre shape. They are usually made with an oval or rectangular shape. The limited shapes during manufacturing do not at all indicate that such a bathtub will look ugly. The product with a snow-white enamel coating looks quite attractive.
Manufacturers offer cast iron bathtubs measuring 100-180 cm. The width varies from 70 to 90 cm. The bowl has an average depth of 40-50 cm.
Production of cast iron baths
The quality of the product is determined by the manufacturer and depends on the method by which he produces it. A good company makes bathtubs by casting them into special molds. Then enamel is applied to the surface, and the product itself is placed in an oven with a temperature of 120 degrees. Strength can be increased by adding titanium to the enamel and placing it in an oven with a temperature of 1200 degrees. This results in a surface that is highly resistant to wear.
Unscrupulous manufacturers apply enamel to the surface by painting. It is unlikely that such a coating will last long. It will certainly wash off over time.
Subjectively, the quality of a product can be determined by weight. If the weight of the product is less than 70 kg, then with a high probability we can say that it is a fake. A manufacturer that values its reputation provides a long warranty on its products. For example, for the German company Kaldewei it is 30 years.
Expert advice when choosing a cast iron bathtub
When purchasing, you need to focus on the following points:
- You first need to take accurate measurements in the room where you plan to install the bath.
- It is necessary to outline the area of the room where the bathtub will be installed. This takes into account the availability of communications and the ability to connect to them.
- It is necessary to take into account the width of the doorway. Otherwise, it will be problematic to bring the bathtub into the room.
- When purchasing, you should definitely ask whether the manufacturer has a license for this type of activity and ask for a certificate for the product.
- It is necessary to study the documents. The declared thickness of the enamel coating should not be less than 1.2 mm. Of course, it will be much better if this indicator has a greater meaning.
- During a visual inspection, you should ensure that there are no visible defects.
- The package must contain all the elements necessary to install the bathtub (various fasteners, legs).
If you follow all these tips, you can choose a good option for a cast iron bathtub.
Read it Transform your bathroom with our exceptional bathtub installation services. Our experienced team ensures precision and efficiency in every installation, guaranteeing a seamless fit and durable results. Whether you’re upgrading or replacing, trust us for professional craftsmanship that enhances your bathing experience. Elevate your bathroom with our reliable and expert bathtub installation services.