Cockroaches thrive in damp and filthy environments. They carry a lot of bacteria and viruses that can cause several diseases. Unlike mosquitoes, cockroaches do not spread diseases directly but they can contaminate our food and by consuming them, we can catch diseases. It is crucial to get rid of cockroaches for the safety and health of you and your family members. In this article, we will explore various diseases caused by cockroaches and how we can prevent them.
This disease is a diarrheal infection caused by the vibrio cholera bacterium. The infection of this disease is caused by consuming food contaminated with the bacterium. Cockroaches contaminate the food with their feces and vomit on food surfaces. The illness may remain asymptomatic for a longer period. Some people may develop acute diarrhea causing severe dehydration. The treatment requires rehydration similar to Salmonellosis.
Dysentery is one of the common diseases caused to human beings by cockroaches. The symptoms include diarrhea with blood in stools. In most cases, people suffer from mild symptoms and recover within a week without medical attention. However, if the problem is severe, you may need medical assistance. Sometimes, the symptoms also include nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. There are two types of dysentery found in human beings.
Amoebic dysentery is caused by protozoan parasite entamoeba histolytic. The symptoms include fever, chills, and blood or mucus diarrhea.
This is caused by shigella bacteria. The symptoms are stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Cockroaches tend to live in damp and moist areas like sewers, drains, bathrooms, etc. They pick up germs and bacteria from such filthy places. These germs accumulate on their legs and when they crawl on our food, they leave these germs on them and their surfaces. Consuming the contaminated food can cause salmonellosis, which has symptoms similar to food poisoning. These include severe stomach pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Some people can experience severe diarrhea leading to dehydration that may need hospitalization.
Though plague is a rodent-borne disease, cockroaches can also spread this disease in human beings. The common symptoms of bubonic plague are swollen lymph nodes, cramps, and high fever. This disease needs urgent medical assistance. If a little delayed, the person can suffer severe complications. One must consult a medical professional if any such symptoms are prominent.
E. coli bacteria normally live in the intestines of healthy people. Though most of the E.coli bacteria are harmless, some may cause watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, and vomiting.
Typhoid fever is one of the most common bacterial infections caused by cockroaches. This is a highly infectious disease, especially in densely populated cities. The symptoms include fever, headache, muscle pain, diarrhea, or constipation. The symptoms may vary from person to person.
Cockroaches can also trigger asthma, especially in sensitive people. Certain proteins in human bodies can act as an allergen. In severe infestations, these allergens can spread in the air and when ingested, some people may trigger an asthma attack. The saliva, feces, and shed skin of cockroaches can trigger asthma and allergic issues.
Cockroaches are also known to be the carriers of the bacillus mycobacterium leprae. This is the main cause of leprosy in individuals. Cockroaches can spread this bacterium through their feces. If not treated on time, this disease can cause permanent damage to skin, nerves, eyes, and skin leading to deformities.
How To Prevent Diseases Caused by Cockroaches.
You can prevent diseases caused by cockroaches by following the tips below.
- Clean your home regularly, and pay special attention to the kitchen and dining area. Wipe off spills and crumbs from countertops and clean the surfaces regularly.
- Wash utensils immediately after using them. Do not keep dirty dishes in the sink overnight.
- Seal cracks, crevices, holes, and gaps in the house as cockroaches can enter your home through these spaces. Install screens on doors and windows and use weatherstrippings to prevent cockroaches from entering your home.
- Do not allow any standing water in and around your house. Repair plumbing issues such as leaky pipes and faucets. You can also use a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture in the house. Make sure that there are no clogged drains and that water is flowing freely.
- Store food in an air-tight container and do not keep fruits and vegetables in the open. Keep them in the refrigerator.
- Maintain hygiene and wash your hands regularly, especially when you come from the outside.
- If you are dealing with severe infestation, you must take the services of professional pest control in Bhopal experts. They will safely and effectively eliminate cockroaches from your property.
Cockroaches pose a serious threat to our health. Now, that you are aware of the diseases caused by cockroaches, you must take precautions and prevention from these crawling insects in your house to save you and your family from the above-mentioned diseases. By focusing on cleaning and maintaining hygiene, storing food properly, and sealing the cracks and gaps, you can significantly reduce the risk of infections caused by cockroaches.